Every construction project involves three main parties: the owner, the project management team and the general contractor. A general building contractor is the one who plans and coordinates the entire construction activities and bears the responsibility of finishing with quality work on every project within time and budget. In simple words, they are the main hero of a construction project who conducts the entire process and ensures the best method to complete it.
In this blog, we will be focusing on building contractors and their specific roles and responsibilities. Generally, the general contractor plans, executes, leads and supervises an entire building construction project. He has multiple roles and responsibilities during different stages of a construction project. Although his roles to some extent depend on the type of project he is handling, we have outlined some of the major responsibilities of a general contractor Mississauga below.
Just like any other project, proper planning is very important for a construction project that is done by the building contractor. At this stage, the general contractor does the following
- selects the material and equipment needed for the project and plans their procurement
- builds risk management strategies and predicts areas that might require changes in the future
- handles legal and regulatory issues
- establishes communication amongst all those who are involved in the project and
- Sets a budget
As mentioned above a contractor has the responsibility of completing a project on time which needs proper management at every step. Here are the things that he does to manage the construction activities
- Ensures the availability of sufficient fund to maintain a smooth flow of the project
- Buying materials with the assurance that they will reach the construction site on time
- Interviewing and appointing subcontractors for the successful completion of specialized tasks
- Renting or buying construction equipment that is important for the project
- Preparing project reports showing intermediate payments
- Makes sure that their workers are experienced and skilled to manage the particular project
Keeping track of the Project
This is also an important step in a construction project that is managed by a contractor. Keeping track of a home improvement project ensures that it is going according to the contract specifications. In addition to tracking progress, he also needs to prevent disruptions. This engages several activities including
- Choosing an affordable construction method
- Maintaining quality
- Ensuring the safety of the construction site
- Ensuring a continuous and smooth supply of material whenever needed during the construction project
Handling Legal Issues
General contractors have a few responsibilities to perform when it comes to legal and regulatory issues. He must get all the necessary permits and licenses even before gearing up for a project. He also needs to make sure the construction process follows local legislation and building codes. An efficient contractor must have sufficient and updated knowledge with the right permits and contractor licenses so that the project he is handling runs smoothly without obstacles.
Health and Safety Issues
Safety is vital for every construction site. In order to ensure health and safety in a construction site, a contractor needs to implement adequate procedures and increase its awareness amongst workers. Besides this, he also has the responsibility to see if the equipment is functioning properly to avoid any kind of accidents.
It is evident from the roles and responsibilities of a building contractor that he should have the capacity to manage uncertainty and take the major decisions on a regular basis. That is why the level of experience is also very important for a contractor as the one with sufficient experience will be able to handle complicated issues skillfully.